Friday, October 24, 2014

Dahlias

Have I mentioned that I love dahlias? When we got married, we couldn't quite figure out exactly what we wanted for the centerpieces, but our lovely florist, Shelly Bagdasian  came up with adding some beautiful bright pink dahlias. They, along with our little flower girl, Maddox, stole the show! They are just so lush and vibrant, but delicate at the same time.

It wasn't so long after we got married that we bought our house and I finally got the opportunity to garden. Now, I wouldn't exactly say I have a green thumb...side note, I just accidentally typed "grumb" and I think I might be onto a cool new word. Anyway. I wouldn't exactly say I have a grumb, but I do love african violets which are lovely, albeit finicky house plants. Another side note:  my Mother in law takes beautiful care of them as well. But I digress.

Happily, we have a very, very sunny yard. So, on an impulse, I bought some dahlia bulbs at Home Depot, and literally just stuck them in the ground. Then, lo and behold...they grew! And grew, and grew. And even better, they are this beautiful, purple-pink color that contrasts perfectly with the lovely orange pumpkins in our garden.

My Dad, who has the greenest thumb of anyone out there, spends a lot of time working in the garden. When I was younger, I don't think I understood it, but I remember him telling me that there was just "something nice about growing things." When the dahlias I stuck in the ground grew so beautifully, I think I finally understood what he meant. I feel proud of these flowers in the same way that I feel proud of V. There are so many horrifying news stories out there, and couple that with the despair I fairly often encounter at work, it is truly wonderful to be able to put bulbs in the ground and see something grow. It's like a bit of peace and wonder that exists right outside our door.

Perhaps I'm just writing all this so I have an excuse to share photos of these beautiful flowers, Here they are!





No comments:

Post a Comment